cardboardy blog

cardboardy (adjective) 1. tasteless, dry, chewy 2. unreal, unconvincing blog(noun) 1. a log that starts with 'b'

Saturday, July 22, 2006

1990

- Had really bad hair, this year's abomination was a nasty undercut from the hellmouth barbershop.
- Had a bad attitude, and bad torn scraggy clothes to match.
- During school assembly one friday I saw my history teacher wearing a giant pink triangle. tI thought it was some class project, and promptly forgot about it. Later, though, after undergoing some stonewalling of my own, I pieced things together. Catholic school, gay hatred. Gay History Teacher. See, Gay History Teacher's partner was briefly employed as the drama teacher, based solely on the merit of her application. All well until the school found out that she was Gay History Teacher's long term partner. Gay Drama Teacher was sacked while still on probation. The school would have no doubt tried to sack Gay History Teacher, but her years of exemplary service would have stood in the way. Hence the pink triangle during Friday assembly. What a brave woman.
- First and last swim in Sydney Harbour, right at the pier near the Opera House. It was hot, and I was in the moment. Boy was that a soggy train ride home.
- Second and final boyfriend Creg (or so my american cousin seemed to pronounce Craig) Creg was a bad speller and an ok kisser but a total geek with glasses. he was obsessed with De La Soul, which I couldn't fathom. We went out for several whole months, until a girl I went to school with stole him from me. I wasn't overly sad about it, infact i remember embracing the opportunity for some high pitched teen angst, after such a relatively uneventful relationship. I posted him a letter with the words to Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss me written in heavy ink. Very dramatic.
- Underage discotecas. There was Rayz in Penrith, the dances at that weird evangelist convention centre, and of course that band night at Springwood that got us into so much trouble.
- Became a vegetarian. I can't excatly remember why, I think I saw a revolting photo of the inside of an abbatoir and that was the end of my meat eating career.
- went to hawaii on fuck-off family vacation. revisited with Elroy places we went as kids, like Hanauma Bay. bonded with him for first time in ages, felt very adult. we even smoked cigarettes together when the parents weren't around. one memorable smoko: we decided, while sightseeing atop a volcano, that we should take a high-altitude walk into the crater. I was stunned by this perspective atop the clouds, and me and Elroy skirted the edge of the crater down down down until we were far enough from parents and busted out the cigarettes. Important life lesson learned about altitude, oxygen, and stupidity.
- Hung out at the hawaiian hotel pool with other teenagers, looking for trophy pashes to take home, not sure why. Had an interesting scene with a french-canadian boy in the spa, which left me unmoved. Despite this, I told my B-fatts upon return that I had gotten up to all sort of M-rated things in the hotel spa, just to make sure they knew there was nothing amiss with me re: my boydar.
- Discovered angst, goth music, eyeliner and voluntary insomnia
- Discovered hanging out in cemetaries. met my mate before school every morning at the old cemetary by the vault to smoke and be generally depressing. Also we smoked there after school, and sought out other bigger, older cemetaries on weekends and holidays to also smoke and be depressed in.
- Discovered the occult, had many midnight seances and communed regularly with the dead. Once we decided to have a midnight seance at the cemetary near school, but when we got there we were too scared to even speak, let alone bust out the scrabble letters, and I think we ran most of the way home.

Labels: