cardboardy blog

cardboardy (adjective) 1. tasteless, dry, chewy 2. unreal, unconvincing blog(noun) 1. a log that starts with 'b'

Thursday, May 18, 2006

candy

I watched a new Australian film the other night, Candy.
It’s all about this pretty junkie couple and their journey via heaven into hell. Sounds clichéd, especially given that our Heath is the star, but still a powerful movie that we had to have.
Nothing I hadn’t seen before really, having lived variously at the fringes of the junkie world in my time. I saw much in the film about people I’ve known over the years.
The song that contained the movie, Tim Buckley’s ‘song to the siren’ was the same song I used to sing to myself after I lost my first love to heroin all those years ago. It’s the song I sing to myself whenever I can’t sleep, or whenever I need to chase an evil song or thought out of my head. It was also the same song someone else played by the river that day last year when we buried our mate who overdosed. She was only 25.


…. should I lie with Death my bride?
Swim to me
…I am
Waiting to hold you

Labels: