strike?
I'm in the midst of a work choice.
My comrades (nee colleagues)are currently in negotiation with the bosses about our workplace agreement.
The short story is that
- I work for a small not-for-profit organisation
- When the new IR legislation came in, we were told to list our current conditions under the old agreement, and they would be written up as the new agreement
- We did this, in good faith, and included no ambit claims
- They sought advice from the most right-eous employer advocate on the planet
- They then responded with an ambit contract reducing our wages/ conditions
- We responded by saying, "Are you sure you meant to tell us that we're not worth what were currently getting? Are you sure you want to go down this road?" We did this in the hope that they hadn't really intended to say these things, and were just swept up in a storm of militant advice.
So, today, word is, that they did mean it.
NOW i have to ask myself...
What if it all comes down to a strike?
What if negotiations implode and it comes to that?
What if we stop work and shut the shop and STOP GETTING PAID?!?!
I mean I have stack of savings, but it's untouchable money. It's our travel money for our big love trip of 2006.
I'm just realising that this is a real test of my beliefs.
Am I willing to put my savings on the line for my comrades, and our humble little organisation?
Or am I no better than the fuckers I hate, clutching my little bag of gold and turning my back on principle.
It hasn't come to that yet. But I'm well scared...
My comrades (nee colleagues)are currently in negotiation with the bosses about our workplace agreement.
The short story is that
- I work for a small not-for-profit organisation
- When the new IR legislation came in, we were told to list our current conditions under the old agreement, and they would be written up as the new agreement
- We did this, in good faith, and included no ambit claims
- They sought advice from the most right-eous employer advocate on the planet
- They then responded with an ambit contract reducing our wages/ conditions
- We responded by saying, "Are you sure you meant to tell us that we're not worth what were currently getting? Are you sure you want to go down this road?" We did this in the hope that they hadn't really intended to say these things, and were just swept up in a storm of militant advice.
So, today, word is, that they did mean it.
NOW i have to ask myself...
What if it all comes down to a strike?
What if negotiations implode and it comes to that?
What if we stop work and shut the shop and STOP GETTING PAID?!?!
I mean I have stack of savings, but it's untouchable money. It's our travel money for our big love trip of 2006.
I'm just realising that this is a real test of my beliefs.
Am I willing to put my savings on the line for my comrades, and our humble little organisation?
Or am I no better than the fuckers I hate, clutching my little bag of gold and turning my back on principle.
It hasn't come to that yet. But I'm well scared...
Labels: blerk

<< Home