bargain
Yesterday after work I dropped one of the old fellas home.
The place he calls home is what is known in this country as supported accommodation. Which is, in this case, a large 4 story complex of grubby single apartments on a large inner city block. I didn't look into the rooms themselves (though I've seen their kind many times before), but the driveway and "outdoor living areas" were a depressed junkpile of abandoned furniture, rubbish and lurking assortment of forgotten single men with cavalcade of too-hard mental illnesses strewn amongst the mess.
All of this is not suprising really, as tens of thousands of people live in this manner in my city each day. What is suprising, disgusting even, is that in this particular establishment, these guys pay $1000 a month to live in this place. That includes rent and a main meal (which is, more often than not, liverwurst), and some token probing by a housing/ mental health worker once or twice a week.
Q and I together pay about $1080 a month in rent for our gorgeous house! Sure our house is at times strewn with garbage, but it's our garbage, and we put it there on purpose. These fellas have no choice, the PTB offering the choice to either live in these highrent lowrise suicide incubators, or fuck off and die somewhere else.
I'm so glad that Elroy died young and didn't live on to suffer an interminably lonely life with a skanky beard and nothing to smile about.
The place he calls home is what is known in this country as supported accommodation. Which is, in this case, a large 4 story complex of grubby single apartments on a large inner city block. I didn't look into the rooms themselves (though I've seen their kind many times before), but the driveway and "outdoor living areas" were a depressed junkpile of abandoned furniture, rubbish and lurking assortment of forgotten single men with cavalcade of too-hard mental illnesses strewn amongst the mess.
All of this is not suprising really, as tens of thousands of people live in this manner in my city each day. What is suprising, disgusting even, is that in this particular establishment, these guys pay $1000 a month to live in this place. That includes rent and a main meal (which is, more often than not, liverwurst), and some token probing by a housing/ mental health worker once or twice a week.
Q and I together pay about $1080 a month in rent for our gorgeous house! Sure our house is at times strewn with garbage, but it's our garbage, and we put it there on purpose. These fellas have no choice, the PTB offering the choice to either live in these highrent lowrise suicide incubators, or fuck off and die somewhere else.
I'm so glad that Elroy died young and didn't live on to suffer an interminably lonely life with a skanky beard and nothing to smile about.

<< Home